Making Your Perfect Smile Last
Now that you have your perfect, pearly-white smile thanks to teeth whitening, you are, no doubt, inclined to smile a lot to show off the result of your latest endeavour. But in as much as it makes you happy that your teeth whitening project has finally given you the sparkling smile that you want, you should take care of it. Tooth whitening should be seen as an investment, and it is an investment that you should look after to make it last for the years to come.
Technically, dental whitening – whether it is done through external laser whitening or internal tooth bleaching – can last you at least two years; much, much more if you give your teeth the proper teeth whitening aftercare. But if you continue the habits that made your teeth discoloured in the first place, it would just like be throwing the money you have spent on dental whitening away. Since you have bothered to spend the money and to exert the effort required for you to get your beautifully sparkling smile, you should definitely take care of your teeth.
There is nothing radical about doing teeth whitening aftercare. It is just as simple as being vigilant about your daily hygienic routines. Here are some teeth whitening aftercare tips that you should consider if you want the improved quality of your smile from your teeth whitening to last.
1. Brush your teeth properly. Brushing your teeth properly is the first step towards making the results of your teeth whitening project last. You should develop the habit of brushing not just in the morning when you rise and at night before you go to bed, but also after every meal. The food we eat can stain our teeth, especially wine and drinks that contain caffeine. Why should you allow the staining on your teeth to build up again because of improper dental hygiene?
2. Use whitening toothpastes. Whitening toothpastes have bleaching agents as active ingredients that can help oxidise the stain from the teeth. Although the concentration of these bleaching agents is low, these bleaching agents nonetheless help in breaking down the stains from your teeth before they become discoloured again and undo the results of your teeth whitening.
3. Cut back on drinking and smoking. Frequent consumption of alcoholic drinks and heavy smoking can reverse the effects of teeth whitening. Many alcoholic drinks such as wine have tannins that can stain the teeth. The same goes for the nicotine in tobacco. If you cannot quit drinking and smoking entirely, at least try to do it in moderation or lessen the frequency.
4. Use a straw. If you are drinking fizzy drinks or iced tea, you should use a straw. The caffeine in these drinks as well as the tannins in tea can stain the teeth. Using a straw can help minimise the contact of these substances with your teeth.
5. Use smudge-proof lipstick. Ladies, after going through teeth whitening, you should consider switching your current lipstick for the smudge-proof kind. Some kinds of lipstick tend to cling to the teeth, and the pigments by which lipsticks are made can contribute to the discolouration of your teeth. Using smudge-proof lipstick not only prevents the lipstick itself from getting to your teeth but also minimises the need to retouch your makeup.
Teeth whitening is not an inexpensive venture and should thus be seen as an investment. You should take care of your investment and make sure that your pearly smiles will last.